The IEC electrical training apprenticeship program is the answer to both the individual wanting to jump-start their career and the electrical contractor who wants skilled and productive employees.
With an increasing dependency on electrical systems in homes and businesses, trained electricians are more important than ever. Florida has a 20% projected growth rate in this field over the next eight years. And with a projected shortage of electrical workers, prospects for employment have never been brighter.
If you’re stuck in a dead-end job or don’t want college and student debt, the IEC’s apprenticeship program lets you earn while you learn and obtain a national certification by the US Dept. of Labor as an electrician. The program allows you to fast-track your career to a high paying electrician that is high demand.
IEC provides job referral services for both the apprentice applicant and the electrical contractor seeking new employees. The job referral services are available year-round with both online and classroom programs starting year-round throughout Florida.
Earn While You Learn
- Apprentices earn wages from their employer while enrolled in the program.
- Entry wages are based on experience starting at $13.61 per hour, but no experience is required – and receive a raise every 1,000 hours of On The Job Training known as OJT.
- Apprentices attend classes twice a week after work from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m for a total of 180 hours of classroom instruction each year.
- After completing our program, you will qualify for state certification or licensing and can take the Journeyman’s Exam with only 8,000 hours of OJT rather than 12,000 – saving you around 2 years.
- Earn College Credit towards a college degree.
- Debt Free – Your training is all completed while you earn an income without the need for loans! NO STUDENT DEBT!
Eligibility & Application
Interested candidates must
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED and have reliable transportation
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be physically capable of performing the work of the trade
Be employed with an Electrical Contractor who is a member of IEC or willing to work with IEC FWCC to secure membership with an IEC contractor before starting the program. If you are not currently employed with one of our members, IEC will assist you in finding employment with one of our members. To begin this process, contact Natasha Sherwood at director@IECFlorida.org
- Tuition is free to the Apprentice, paid for by the Member Contractor, IEC FWCC, the State of Florida and the Institution where you take classes.
- Book cost per year varies from $500 – $625 but are sometimes paid for by the member contractor.
We currently offer classes at:
- Hillsborough Community College – Dale Mabry Campus
- Pinellas Technical College – Clearwater
- Marchman Technical College – New Port Richey
- Traviss Technical College – Lakeland
- Tallahassee Community College – Tallahassee
For those apprentices who cannot make it to one of our campuses, IEC offers classes through distance learning. Each class is a live class with a real instructor who can interact with the class and answer questions; however, you attend class through your computer. This is done by using live streaming video and audio in real time.
To apply, please send are resume to director@IECFlorida.org